Thursday, August 9, 2007

Many people knew toby, but few knew her for as long and as much in quantity as I did. I feel that it's fair to say that she has seen every part of my life, and helped me with every aspect of my growth since I met her in the brownie girl scouts. we homeschooled, learned torah, built campfires, played violin, ice skated, orchestra'd, 4-h'd, girl scouted, camped, hiked, shabbosed, shopped, went to music camp, met random people, cried, laughed, and hugged so many times that the part that she is of me is such a big piece, and now I don't know where that piece fits. it's funny a little bit if you think of the world as an enormous puzzle, and you have a person in your life who is such a big piece of your puzzle, but she's really a piece of god's puzzle, more than she was of yours, and if the puzzle goes to two different games, the god puzzle should come first, because he's the master over all creation.
Toby was, was just so incredibly alive. she felt hard and spoke passionately, and loved so much. She wanted to experience everything she could, whenever she could. Once I came to her school play, in 10th grade, and she was every part, and everything she could do was in that play, she sang, danced, acted, played violin, did gymnastics...and besides for it being a play about coming closer to hashem, that was something that was just so boldly toby, to get caught up in anything she could, that any direction could pull her and then suddenly she would be the best at it. Deciding to go into biochemistry was a whim for her, and after working hard the first semester, it went easily. and she was just so many other things, and everything she did, it was all at the same time as being someone whose sweetness embodied them to such an extent that noone can remember her without a smile on her face.
Have you ever met someone who was so many things? If she was a piece of me, and she was so many things, then now that she's gone, then everything that is still with me of her and my memories of her are so firmly impressed in me that even though god took his puzzle piece back, I still have it. She's been tattooed on my heart, and she will always be there. I don't look at this and ask why, and I don't look and say it's not fair, because who am i to judge fair or not fair. she belonged to hashem so much more than she belonged to any human being. she was so caught in being purely herself, that she was purely angelic. And that is why I don't ask why. God put an angel on the world so that we could all know an angel. Now all we can say is thank you for giving us an inspiration in the form of toby.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

BS"D
so beautifully and succintly said.
thank you so much for posting so we could understand her better. May she have aliya after aliya....and may we be reunited with all our loved ones...

Anonymous said...

I never heard of Toby until this tragedy took place. Thank you for posting and giving us a glimpse into who this personality was that we are perpetuating. May the zechus of the pledges and the tefillos of klal yisrael pierce the heavens and bring us moshiach now!

Anonymous said...

so true. what you write is exactly toby. may hashem comfort you and bring only joy to your life from now on... especially with the coming of moshiach!

Anonymous said...

this is so nice!! wow...

Anonymous said...

Poster, you hit the nail on the head. i'm going to miss her soooo much. She was my Birthday Twin (we shared the same birthday) and she would call or write me every year to say Happy Birthday. I miss her more then anyone can know. She really did touch so many lives. may we share only simchas from now until moshiach comes... Bimhayra Viyamaynu... Amen.

Anonymous said...

We should hear only simchas and Moshiach should come right now! Amen!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.